CFHL, UC wanted to continue to reach SNAP eligible communities with quality nutrition education and physical activity during COVID-19. Due to shelter in place orders, traditional methods for delivering education to community members were no longer available. In close partnership with the CFHL, UCCE county programs, the CFHL, UC State Office transitioned education delivery to virtual learning formats.
- CFHL, UCCE staff should use the resources provided on the Google drive, for program specific guidance.
Publicly Available Resources
Models for Virtual Direct Education Delivery
Live Virtual Lessons
- UCCE Community Education Specialists (CES) deliver virtual lessons to students during class time.
The Flipped Classroom Model
- Online content is provided to students for self-study. UCCE CES or teacher extender then lead a live, interactive session to reinforce lesson concepts objectives.
Delivery through a Teacher Extender
- CFHL, UCCE provides teachers with a lesson plan template which includes links to videos, activities, and materials. The teacher delivers the content to students during class.
Guidance for Virtual Education Delivery
- Guidelines for Developing Distance Education: Provides clear guidance on how to create direct and indirect distance education materials for SNAP-Ed populations.
- Delivery and Reporting Guidelines- Distance Learning during COVID-19: Provides guidance on how to report a variety of distance learning methods, and clearly defines required elements for direct vs. indirect education.
Resources for Creating Virtual Education Lessons
- Lesson Plan Template for Distance Education: The template is intended for educators to use while building virtual lessons. It provides structure and instructions for delivering lessons virtually, and includes prompts for providing clear guidance.
- Online Learning Video Guide: Provides recommendations and guidance for creating quality videos
- Recording a PowerPoint Presentation with Narration: Provides detailed guidance on how to record a PowerPoint with voiceover.
- YouTube Caption Guide: Provides detailed instructions on how to create closed captions in YouTube Videos.
- YouTube Uploading and Settings Guide: Provides detailed instructions on how to upload a video, adjust settings, and download final video files on YouTube.
Virtual Education Delivery Trainings
The trainings listed below provide detailed information on how to use different platforms to create online content.
- Distance Learning Technology and Learning Apps
- PowerPoint Mini-Training
- Creating Online Content: Lessons Learned & Best Practices
- Teaching Using Zoom Part 1
- Teaching Using Zoom Part 2
Distance Learning Technology and Learning Apps
The list below includes a variety or resources our team has found useful in creating fun, interactive, and engaging lessons. Review the Distance Learning Technology and Learning Apps training recording for detailed information on how to use these resources.
CalFresh Healthy Living, University of California is not connected or affiliated with any of the products listed below, and does not endorse, favor, support, or oppose any content contained therein.
Video Creation Tools
Reviewing and Approving Virtual Education Materials
The checklists below were created to ensure virtual education content followed guidelines.